AFP Diverse Communities Scholarship Program Overview & Criteria
November 13, 2017
Advancing Diversity by Establishing a Diverse Profession
A Joint Strategic Initiative of AFP and the AFP Foundation for Philanthropy
Make an online secure gift to the Diversity Scholarship Campaign.
Congratulations to the 2018 class of Diverse Communities Scholars!
NOTE: Applications for the 2018 AFP International Fundraising Conference are now closed.
The application period for 2019 will open on September 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018. Thank you.
As a community of inclusion, the Association of Fundraising Professionals seeks, embraces, and engages diverse individuals, groups, and organizations with a broad representation of experiences, perspectives, thoughts and cultures within the fundraising profession. Through this strategic initiative, AFP is committed to activities that increase awareness of diversity issues. As part of this commitment, AFP has created a diversity scholarship program to provide financial assistance for the professional development of AFP members who are themselves members of a diverse community, or are employed by grassroots organizations that primarily serve diverse populations.
The AFP Foundation for Philanthropy invites all AFP members to support diversity within the fundraising profession through the Diversity Scholarship Campaign. Contributions to this campaign will fund scholarships to support registration and travel costs to attend the annual AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
Scholarships will be offered in each of three categories provided the category achieves sufficient funding. The AFP Foundation offers our donors the opportunity to direct their gifts to one of the following categories:
- The General Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who identify themselves as members of the AFP diversity community of fundraising professionals.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants who are members of the AFP GLBT diverse community of fundraising professionals.
- The African-American Diversity Scholarship Fund – reserved for applicants of the AFP African-American diverse community of fundraising professionals.
- Fundraising professional who self identifies as coming from an eligible diverse community as defined by AFP (African-American/Black, Asian, Disabled, Faith-based, GLBT, Hispanic, Jewish or Rural)
- Fundraising professional or fundraising executive director employed by an eligible AFP diverse community where 50% or more staff members are from that diverse community.
- Work for a nonprofit organization that serves a 50% or more eligible AFP diverse community client base.
- Employed as a full-time fundraising professional or spend at least fifty percent of time fundraising for employer.
- Never attended an NSFRE/AFP International Conference on Fundraising.
- Understand that this may be a partial scholarship (conference fees and some travel stipend only) and that scholar may be required to find additional funds needed to attend this conference (such as travel expenses).
- Understand that my name as the AFP Diverse Communities Conference Scholar may be listed/promoted in AFP communications.
- Understand that if selected as a 2018 Diverse Communities Scholarship winner, that scholar will attend all required sessions at the International Fundraising Conference and complete an evaluation.
Should you have questions about the AFP the Diversity Scholarship Program, please contact the Heba Mahmoud at (703) 519-8486, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.